Introduction of SIPO
I. Main Responsibilities
State Intellectual Property Office (vice ministry level) is directly affiliated to the State Council with main responsibilities including:
(1) Organizing and coordinating IPR protection work nationwide and improving the construction of IPR protection system; establishing the collaboration mechanism of IP law enforcement with related departments to launch relative administrative law-enforcement work; launching the work of publicizing IP-related information; and implementing the Compendium on China National IP Strategy with related departments.
(2) Standardizing the basic orders of patent administration; planning and formulating drafts of IP and patent laws and regulations; planning and implementing the policies and systems on patent administration; drafting the policies and measures to standardize patent technology exchanges; guiding local authorities to handle and mediate disputes of patent infringement and crack down on activities such as patent counterfeits and imitations; and guiding and standardizing the assessment work of IP intangible assets with related departments.
(3) Drawing up the policies of foreign-related IP work; researching IP development trends in foreign countries; comprehensively planning foreign-related IP affairs; launching foreign-related negotiation in IP sector according to different categories; and conducting international communications, cooperation and exchanges in patent work.
(4) Working out the development programs for the patent work nationwide, drafting patent working plans, examining and approving special working plans, taking up the responsibility of the construction of the national public service system of patent information, promoting the spread and utilization of patent information with related departments and undertaking the work of patent statistics.
(5) Laying down the criteria of affirming the exclusive rights of patents and integrated circuit layout designs and appointing organizations to manage the work of right affirmation; formulating the criteria of infringing the exclusive rights of patents and integrated circuit layout designs; and developing the policies and measures for the development and supervision of patent agents and intermediary services.
(6) Publicizing and popularizing patent laws, regulations and policies and drafting plans of IP-related education and training according to regulations.
(7) Undertaking other work assigned by the State Council.
II. SIPO Departments
SIPO has seven departments (vice department and bureau level):
(1). General Affairs Office
General Affairs Office is responsible for routine work to keep SIPO in operation such as documents and phone handling, meeting affairs arrangement, confidential work and archive management, undertakes the work related to information, security, confidentiality and public complaints, takes up the management work such as policy research, making government affairs public and the financial and administrative affairs of SIPO, and organizes and launches IP information publicity.
(2) Legal Affairs Department
Legal Affairs Department coordinates and puts forward plans related to the drafting and modification of IP international treaties and foreign-related IP negotiations, draws up the IP law and regulation drafts related to patent, proposes the suggestions and drafts of modifying Patent Law, Protection Regulations of Integrated Circuit Layout Design, Regulations of Patent Agents and other related laws and regulations, organizes the formulation of the negotiation criteria related to right affirmation and right infringement in areas such as patent, and works on the development policies on patent intermediary services.
(3) Protection and Coordination Department
Protection and Coordination Department undertakes the work of organizing and coordinating IPR protection nationwide, operating IP law-enforcement collaboration mechanism, administrative law enforcement and implementing the Compendium on China National IP Strategy.
(4) International Cooperation Department (Office of Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan Affairs)
International Cooperation Department is responsible for formulating the policy of foreign-related IP work, researches the development trends of IP development in foreign countries, handles and coordinates foreign-related IP affairs, holds activities like international communications, cooperation and exchanges of IP work, and handles IP affairs related to Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan.
(5) Patent Affairs Administration Department
Patent Affairs Administration Department formulates and implements the policies and measures of patent administration work, draws up the policies of standardizing patent technology exchanges, guides and standardizes the assessment work of IP intangible assets, directing local authorities to handle and mediate patent disputes and crack down on the activities of patent counterfeits and imitations.
(6) Planning and Development Department
Planning and Development Department shoulders the work of formulating the national development plan of IP work, making the finance, material and capital construction plans of SIPO setups, guiding and supervising the construction of the national public service system of patent information, conducting patent statistics work and directing and supervising the financial affairs and state-owned asset management of units directly under SIPO.
(7) Human Resources Department
Human Resources Department is responsible for the cadre team construction and the formulation of plans related to personnel administration and organization establishment of SIPO and units directly under SIPO, drafting the working plans related to IP education and training and managing retired personnel of SIPO.
Party Committee shoulders the responsibility of the work of Party-masses relations of SIPO and units directly under SIPO in Beijing.